Hey there. Chad here to give you an update on the progress on our game. This is my first official Devlog so bare with me! Since it is my first and our website does not have a complete about page I thought I would explain Pixel City Bros. This game is a tongue-in-cheek top down 2D RPG that pokes fun at the old school games. I like to think of it as a mash up of Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and a sports management game (think of Fight Night) that is heavily inspired creatively by old Technos games (RCR, Crash and the Boys, Double Dragon). We have several unique aspects that we feel will set our game apart and make it fun:
- There is no leveling up or experience. Stats are gained through equipment and training at a gym.
- Skills are obtained by gaining Job Points while you fight. These can be exchanged for training sessions or learning a new skill.
- Our status effects are timed based. So if you use a technique that boosts a players strength it will stay in affect for a certain period of time instead of being removed after a single battle.
- Team based techniques similar to Chrono Trigger.
- Arena based fighting in areas of the city. Gain reputation and money doing these 1v1 fights!
- Gain stat boosts by increasing your belt by fighting in the Arena.
We are making progress on multiple fronts outside of the development as well. The team will start pushing the marketing a bit more and see if we can start getting some more followers and also want to open up the game for community involvement. Come join our discord channel here: https://discord.gg/f7HmNBy.
For the past 4 months or so we were building the backbone structure of the game so there had not been a lot of screen shots and game play. We have a lot of that finished up and will be showing more footage of gameplay soon. The footage above is some basic movement in the game and shows some of the home area and what it looks like. You can also see where the player can pick up random items.
This next screen show shows a bit of the menu. Its not 100% yet but a huge amount of work has been completed on this front. Its still a bit buggy but we are working out the kinks with not problem. One of the unique aspects of this game is that the status effects are not limited to a single battle but instead are time based. This allows you to strategically use these enhancements instead of only being able to during the battle. We decided to do this because past experience in games like Final Fantasy these enhancements often became useless because it required a turn to do something such as haste. Often you would simply ignore that spell because you can instead inflict damage. We hope to create the game play in which using these status effects become an essential and fun part of the game.